Friday, July 14, 2006

JamJar, Flex 2 - A Little Worried

So Flash Player 9 and Flex 2 are both available now, and I finally have the chance to show off what they can do. I've been bragging up Flex 2 to all of my colleagues, many of whom simply don't get the Flash Platform at all. I'm hearing great things about the JamJar demo, and it sound like a perfect app to show off the power of Flex. Except that when I run it, I get this:

ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property hasDefinition not found on
flash.system.ApplicationDomain and there is no default value. at
mx.managers::SystemManager/getDefinitionByName() at
mx.managers::SystemManager/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::addingChild() at
mx.managers::SystemManager/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::rawChildren_addChildAt() at
mx.managers::SystemChildrenList/addChild() at
mx.managers::SystemManager/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::initialize() at
mx.managers::SystemManager/::initHandler()


I have a "Dismiss All" button and a "Continue" button, both of which yield the same result: a lovely blue-green screen with a nice gradient (you know, the standard Flex background). That's it.

I updated my Flash Player, but that's all I can think of to do... I've been a Flash developer for years, and I am at a total loss. Imagine when the average user comes up against one of these error boxes!

I knew AS3 would not fail silently, and I've always had a feeling that was a bad idea. But, I guess I just figured I'd get my code 100% right. But if the Flex team can't get it right, what chance do I have?

I've got a feeling there's more going on than buggy code. Maybe my Flash player didn't update itself correctly - that would be a bad thing too. I really want the Flex platform to succeed (I want to make a living at it!), but if this kind of user experience becomes common, it will only give ammunition to the anti-Flash crowd and make it a tougher sell.

Was this post helpful to you? If so, please consider making a small donation to keep this blog going.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is actually an error when you are running the Beta 3 or lower version of Flah Player 9. Simply running the released version of the installer is not enough to completely upgrade.

You should uninstall with http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Then re-install the public version and you should be good.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi, that is debug output that is only seen if you have the debug player (such as beta 3).

End users will never see that (things wil fail silently).

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

4:35 PM  
Blogger Tangent said...

AS3 is a big step forward to entice Java developers. While the performance are sizzling, I don't know how Adobe is going to leverage the stiff learning curve with the existing AS2 developers who are not OO educated. To me, AS3 is a bit like asking a VB developer to get on the boat with C#. All of a sudden, you need to worry about things like GC.

6:33 PM  
Blogger tom said...

Jason, Mike - Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that errors won't be shown in the normal player version (an important point I somehow missed during beta testing). Hopefully beta builds won't linger in the wild.

I guess this post goes to show that I shouldn't be blogging at 5 on a Friday while installing a cranky SCSI controller in a Win2k3 box. Doesn't give me time to gut-check myself. :)

Tangent, glad to see you'll be blogging!! I'm looking forward to seeing your posts.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ralph Lauren polo shirts , Lacoste Polo Shirts, Burberry Polo Shirts.wholesale Lacoste polo shirts and polo ralph laurenwith great price. clothingol.com offers lot of 10 lacoste polo shirts and lot of 20 cheap polo shirts. clothingol.com offers classic fit polo shirts. polo clothingnike air max ltd is divided into sports life and NIKE NIKENIKE air shoes sports mark for a big hook (swoosh)NIKE life (NSW) mark is a hook NIKE swoosh (English) +Sometimes life will sell NIKE sports channel,cheap puma mens shoes , enjoy shopping!
ing

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ralph lauren poloburberry polo shirtthe north face jacketcolumbia jacketspyder jacketed hardy clothing ed hardy clothesed hardy shirts ed hardy t-shirts ed hardy sunglasses ed hardy mensed hardy womens Wholesale HandbagsCheap HandbagsWomens HandbagsCheap PursesDesigner HandbagsTennis RacquetTennis Racket
cheap tennis racquet
tennis racquet discount
cheap tennis racket
discount Tennis Rackethead junior tennis racketwilson tennis racquet
wilson tennis racket
head tennis racketbabolat tennis racket

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home