Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I'm a Mac... and HEY!!! LOOK AT ME!!!

I just got a new Vista box at work and I'm getting it all set up, trying to get used to the new locations of everything. My particular pain point is that the VPN client my company uses hasn't yet been updated for Vista. But I digress...

The thing I really want to talk about is just how much bling they added with Aero. It's like they had a big meeting and someone said "Look, we all know that people love Macs because they're purty. We have to make Windows cool-looking too. How can we do that?" "I know!!" someone else pipes up. "We can make the windows semi-transparent!!" "Yeah, that'd be awesome!" says someone else. "We should also put some gleam on them, like a glassy reflection." "And dropshadows!!", chimes in another. "Yaaay!! Isn't designing things fun?? No longer will Windows be known as 'the ugly OS'."

Seriously, Vista is way over the top in terms of aesthetics. Pick two of the added design touches and it would have been enough. But dropshadows, transparency, glows, white strokes, bevels, reflections and blur all at once? That's called "trying too hard".

I don't consider myself a fan-boy, but I couldn't help but to be inspired to propose a new Mac vs PC commercial.

Mac: Hello, I'm a Mac.
PC: Wassup dawg, I'm a PC. (he's wearing MC Hammer pants)
Mac: Hey, PC, nice pants. What's that around your neck, a huge analog clock?
PC: Yeah, isn't it cool? They gave me a bunch of new fashion accessories this time. Yup... I finally got my wardrobe up to date.
Mac: Umm.. Yeah. Isn't that thing a little slow?

With apologies to my boss, who came up with the Flava Flav clock gag.

Was this post helpful to you? If so, please consider making a small donation to keep this blog going.