Monday, June 16, 2008

AJAX in ASP .Net - Missing Sys.WebForms.*

So - don't ask me why, but I've been dabbling with AJAX & .Net 2.0. Oh, the shame of it. I just spent two days trying to figure out why my UpdatePanel controls were doing a full refresh of the page instead of only updating the area they encapsulate. It turns out that the required script libraries (.axd files) were not all being rendered into the page. In particular, I was missing Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager. It took a further two hours to find the following (seemingly irrelevant) blog post:

http://blogs.technet.com/stefan_gossner/archive/2006/01/24/418005.aspx

In a fit of desperation, I tried his suggestion for fixing a completely unrelated problem, and lo, it worketh. Just comment the following out of your web.config:

<xhtmlConformance mode="Legacy" />

Enjoy.

Was this post helpful to you? If so, please consider making a small donation to keep this blog going.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been pulling my hair out for the last 3 hours!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your site is very nice ...
this is very helpful and attractive.
visit for asp.net help asp.net help

9:30 AM  
Blogger xparrot said...

Awesome ... you rock. I spent way to much time on this before I found your solution. Thanks

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home