Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Technique: Google Analytics for Dynamic Pages

I'm evaluating Google Analytics, and I'm fairly impressed so far. Not bad, for free stuff!

The first question that I had after reading the installation notes was "How do I track different states of a dynamic page?". For example, it is quite common to use Panel controls in ASP.Net to show different steps in a multi-step form, rather than having a separate page for each step. Since the Analytics urchinTracker Javascript is embedded once on each unique page, I was concerned that different states of a dynamic page would be untrackable.

Fortunately, this is not the case. You can call the urchinTracker JavaScript call from each state of your dynamic page, and simply pass it a made-up page name:

urchinTracker("checkout.html")
urchinTracker("confirm.html")
urchinTracker("success.html")

These "virtual" pages can be used by Analytics the same purposes as a real page. See the Google Analytics help info for more. Pretty cool!

Was this post helpful to you? If so, please consider making a small donation to keep this blog going.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, I have been wondering about this for a while. This post really helped me out.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home