Sunday, April 09, 2006

Windows XP Service Pack 1 with Apple Bootcamp - DON'T TRY IT

I wasn't able to immediately get my hands on a Win XP disc with Service Pack 2 included, so I decided I'd try a Service Pack 1 installation. Everything went normally, until the very last step when Windows reboots your computer, which it failed to do. I manually rebooted the system, and was able to bring up Windows, but the Mac drivers would not install on SP1.

Now, this is a bad thing, because that includes the ethernet drivers. They wouldn't install either. No internet, no upgrade to Service Pack 2.

I downloaded SP2 on another machine, burned it to CD, and tried to update the SP1 installation. This failed as well.

Ultimately, I had to remove the partition I had made with Bootcamp and start the whole process over again, this time with a WinXP Sp2 disc in hand. This time, everything went smoothly. The whole ordeal makes for a long and boring Saturday night, so I recommend against making the attempt with Service Pack 1.

Was this post helpful to you? If so, please consider making a small donation to keep this blog going.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tom. Searched google because I wasn't sure about this (and I have only an SP1 disk on hand). This helped a lot.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for having your entry! It saves me from having a very long night by trying to install with sp1 which I was about to do! Thank goodness for Google =D

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, thank you very much for this tip!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

If you have an XP CD, a CD Burner, a running Windows XP Machine that can use the burner, and some time on your hands, check out http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/how-to-the-curmudgeons-guide-to-boot-camp/, which has links to sites that tell you how to "slipstream" your SP2 and create an XP install CD with SP2.

And if your bored, check out my blog at http://darnitol.blogspot.com

2:10 PM  
Blogger J. Ott said...

Your willingness to share your pain has spared me the same troubles. Thanks, friend!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Hans said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto, thanks for posting, totally was gonna try exactly what you did. Mental note to self: when you do something and it doesn't work, put it up on the net... Thanks again.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto, thanks for posting, totally was gonna try exactly what you did. Mental note to self: when you do something and it doesn't work, put it up on the net... Thanks again.

11:40 PM  
Blogger matty-san said...

Just for the sake of it... It actually is not "impossible" to install SP1 with bootcamp, I managed to get it done and working perfectly... but you need Fusion or another similar program.

check it out on my blog @ http://www.freewebs.com/mattyrobinson/
for more details if you're interested...

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks... I was very tempted to try this with my SP1 in hand... I guess I'll have to go out and buy SP2. :(

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I did was actually exactly what you've done, except it was on a Friday, well it's two O'Clock Saturday morning now. I think we've got an XP SP2 lying around somewhere, we just need to find it. How do you uninstall Windows?

4:53 AM  
Blogger matty-san said...

if youve got access to a fusion-like program try what i suggested on my blog, otherwise I think you should be able to put the SP2 cd in, boot from it and do a reinstall from that cd. You shouldn't need to uninstall first.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah it's all right I found on Wikipedia (three cheers for wiki!) that you could hold down alt while booting and that would give you a choice of whether to go into Mac or Microsoft while booting. So I just went into Mac, opened up Boot Camp and deleted the stuffed Windows partition and now I'm giving an XPSP2 CD that didn't work before a whirl. Do you reckon you could install Windows from a portable USB drive?

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind, I DID IT, IT WORKED!!! YIPEEEE! I'm going to play my games now, lol.
:D:D:D

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home